Download Android 4.4.4 Gapps [You can use Stock or Micro]
Make sure you are using CWM v.18.104.22.168 or higher to install Android 4.4.2/4.4.3/4.4.4 KitKat ROMs! Also you can use TWRP v22.214.171.124 or higher. You can update your CWM recovery using ROM Manager app on Play Store or TWRP Recovery using Goo Manager on Play Store. If having trouble, you can update manually, see our CWM/TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S4.
To install, reboot into recovery, make backup ROM, wipe data/factory reset, install ROM, install Gapps, install Conversion Kit, and reboot. (If for some reason you end up in a bootloop or get force-closed keyboard error on boot, reboot into CWM recovery, go to Mounts & Storage->format /system. For TWRP, go to Wipe->Advanced Wipe->Wipe /system.)
(First time installing custom ROM? See How to Install Custom ROM on Galaxy S4 first!)
Credits – GT-i9500 @XDA, CyanogenMOD for awesome CM11 ROM! The HighOnAndroid OnePlus One Conversion kit also works on any Android smartphone or tablet running CM11 ROM, see How to Convert your Android Smartphone into OnePlus One!
- Want latest Android L Preview Keyboard? See How to Install Android L Preview Keyboard on rooted Android!
- Want Flash Player? See How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2/4.4.3 KitKat!
- If you want some awesome audio, check out Viper4Audio FX MOD, which you can install on this ROM to enhance your music 100%.
- If you want to run your apps in tablet/hybrid/custom DPI mode, see our Xposed App Settings guide.
- If you want PIE Controls, see our LMT Pie Control guide.
- Need to run apps that check for root? Check out How to Run Apps that’s don’t run on rooted Android!
- Want to listen to YouTube music with screen off? Check out How to Playback YouTube videos with Screen-Off!
- Need multi-window? Check out How to Add Multi-Window to Any Rooted Android!
Q: My 3G/4G LTE data is not working!!!
A: See How to Fix 3G/4G LTE data by Manually Setting APN on Android!
Q: I don’t have Play Store nor any of the Google apps!
A: You forgot to install Gapps, reboot into recovery and install it! (See above for download.)
Q: The ROM is not booting!
A: Try formatting /system and re-install ROM, sometimes the system partition gets corrupt and you may have to try 2 or 3 times before the ROM boots.
Q: How can I thank you for your tutorial?
A: I don’t take donations but if you could PLEASE subscribe to my Zedomax YouTube channel, that would help me greatly and thank you!
What is a Custom ROM?
A custom ROM is a custom, modified operating system that you can install on your Android device. Basically it's like installing Windows OS on a Macbook. By installing a custom ROM, you can bypass stock factory settings like locked hotspot tether, install new Android versions early, or even convert your phone into another OS.
With a custom ROM, you can really maximize the capabilities of your smartphone by adding custom features that have been developed by open source developers.
How to Install Custom ROMs
First, you will need to root your device, if it is not rooted yet, follow our root tutorial and root your phone.
Once rooted, you should have TWRP installed on your phone. Installation of a custom ROM is easy if you learn the basic of it. If you don't know how to install custom ROMs using TWRP recovery, see our tutorial on How to Install Custom ROM using TWRP!