For those of you wondering and waiting when Android 5.0 Lollipop will be here for the Galaxy S4, we have good news, it is already available! The bad news? It is still in beta, that means developers are still working out kinks.
For GT-i9500 users, this means everything working except 3G data, NFC, and camera. For users with Qualcomm-based LTE S4 (like GT-i9505, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, Cricket, MetroPCS), everything works except NFC and camera.
Still not a bad deal given that you can try most of Android 5.0 Lollipop features and the UI is super-smooth. The kinks should be worked out soon enough but in the meanwhile, you can try out the CM12 ROM beta versions.
For those of you worried about bugs, just make a backup ROM, try the Lollipop, then restore your ROM back, that way you can try what’s new with Lollipop before the official versions hit (which may be months away).
Note: Sprint S4 seems to be a bit buggy as no status bar shows for some reason but working fine on my Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and GT-i9505.
Download CM12 ROM Beta for GT-i9500 (PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL UNLESS YOU HAVE GT-i9500 MODEL NUMBER!)
Download SuperSU v2.30 (You MUST use this version to get full root!)
THIS ROM DOES NOT WORK WITH SAFESTRAP!!!
Make sure you are using CWM v.18.104.22.168 or higher to install Android 4.4.2/4.4.3/4.4.4 KitKat ROMs! Also you can use TWRP v22.214.171.124 or higher. You can update your CWM recovery using ROM Manager app on Play Store or TWRP Recovery using Goo Manager on Play Store. If having trouble, you can update manually, see our CWM/TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S4.
To install, reboot into recovery, make backup ROM, wipe data/factory reset, install ROM, install Gapps, install SuperSU, and reboot. (If for some reason you end up in a bootloop or get force-closed keyboard error on boot, reboot into CWM recovery, go to Mounts & Storage->format /system. For TWRP, go to Wipe->Advanced Wipe->Wipe /system.)
(First time installing custom ROM? See How to Install Custom ROM on Galaxy S4 first!)
- Want a height-adjustable keyboard? Check out How to Install LG G3 Keyboard!
- Want latest Android L Preview Keyboard? See How to Install Android L Preview Keyboard on rooted Android!
- Want Flash Player? See How to Install Flash Player on Android 4.4.2/4.4.3 KitKat!
- If you want some awesome audio, check out Viper4Audio FX MOD, which you can install on this ROM to enhance your music 100%.
- If you want to run your apps in tablet/hybrid/custom DPI mode, see our Xposed App Settings guide.
- If you want PIE Controls, see our LMT Pie Control guide.
- Need to run apps that check for root? Check out How to Run Apps that’s don’t run on rooted Android!
- Want to listen to YouTube music with screen off? Check out How to Playback YouTube videos with Screen-Off!
- Need multi-window? Check out How to Add Multi-Window to Any Rooted Android!
Q: My 3G/4G LTE data is not working!!!
A: See How to Fix 3G/4G LTE data by Manually Setting APN on Android!
Q: My 64GB SD card does not work!
A: AOSP ROMs (What is AOSP?) do not support beyond 32GB of microSD external storage.
Q: I don’t have Play Store nor any of the Google apps!
A: You forgot to install Gapps, reboot into recovery and install it! (See above for download.)
Q: The ROM is not booting!
A: Try formatting /system and re-install ROM, sometimes the system partition gets corrupt and you may have to try 2 or 3 times before the ROM boots.